Saturday, June 4, 2011

What!? I have to leave? Didn't I just get here?

This whole experience has really warped my sense of time. When I got here in January, it felt like I had a millenium of time before my departure date. It took about 3 weeks for me to feel like I really lived here rather than being on vacation, even after getting my Foreign ID number and opening a bank account. Once classes started I really fell into a rhythm of being here and I fell farther into the fantasy that I would never have to leave.

But the weeks on the hand-written calendar on my wall are slowly getting crossed off. There are only 4 left. At times I feel really excited about the idea of going home and seeing all of the faces that I´ve been missing, but a part of me is still in denial of leaving because I don´t want to have to say goodbye to all of the people I´ve grown so close to here.

I´m trying not to think about that and focusing on crossing things off my To-Do list. My agenda includes, study for my 2 remaining finals, go to Granada, write 5 music essays, go to Marrakech, Morroco with my roommates, finish my translation project, plan for when my family is here, and go to Segovia.

I guess I better get busy. :)

1 comment:

  1. Gretch, I know how you feel. I saw my last few weeks in Oxford slip by with growing dread. It still makes me sad to think about leaving such a great experience, and it's still really hard for me to accept that it's over. But you come out of it having lived in happiness and adventure, and you can take that sense with you through the rest of your life! I'm really proud of you for going to Spain and immersing yourself in the language and culture--that can't have been easy all the time. Good luck with your last few weeks! I'm thinking of you and your travels fondly. Can't wait to see more pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete