Thursday, June 16, 2011

I´ve been doing a lot of thinking the past few days... not serious, studious, or academic thinking, but more along the lines of daydreaming. I wonder what things will be like when I get back. I wonder in what ways I´ll be different that I won´t become aware of until I´m in a (somewhat) new environment. Well, all this daydreaming has brought about a list of reverse culture shock that I´m expecting to notice once I´m home:

1. I will inevitably forget where I am and kiss someone hello on the cheeks. It´s bound to happen. Surely it will be awkward.

2. I´ll have to get used to smiling again. - That isn´t to say that I don´t smile or laugh here! Oh, boy, do I smile and laugh. I just don´t do those things while I´m walking down the sidewalk. In America, especially the Midwest, everyone is always smiling at passers-by on the streets, but here no one does that.

3. I´ll have to start remembering that in the U.S. when people say, "Let´s meet up at ten," they really mean ten. Not like here where "Let´s meet up at ten" translates roughly to, "Let´s meet up sometime around ten but I´ll probably be a good 15 to 20 minutes late depending on what I´m doing before...so I´ll see you sometime."

Other things don´t have to do with culture, but more with the amenities that I´m not used to having here, like a car to drive, or an electric stove and shower heater that doesn´t require me to light a gas burner to have hot water, or A/C.

Yeah... I´ll have some adjusting to do when I get home. :)

Thanks for reading!
I love you! xoxo

P.S. - There´s a post coming about my trip to Morocco, it´s just taking a long time to get it put together because our internet is running rrrreeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy slowly and the pictures are taking forever to upload... but I hope to have it up by Sunday. Or Monday. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment